Before I get into phase 4, a little background on me: I am currently living in Los Angeles (10+ years), but I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas, and all my family are back there. I try and visit my home state every once in a while, and this made me a little nervous while on the SCD. Once my family learned I was on a special diet, I was taken aback at how supportive they were. I had no expectations for them to cater to me, and was fully prepared to deal with the complexities of the SCD on my own. But the thoughtfulness and effort they showed me really melted my heart. Having a supportive loved one, or entire family, makes diet and lifestyle changes so much easier! I did more experimenting and eating out during phase 3+4 partly because my family encouraged me and cooked with me … and were willing to try my creations!
In addition to the Intro and Phase 1+2+3 foods, I am now adding:
- Meat/protein: whole nuts
- Fruit: Raw fruits, dried fruits, persimmons, grapes, coconut
- Vegetable: raw vegetables
- Other: SCD legal food bars and snacks
As with the other phases, I purchased my foods while still on phase 3 so I could prep and be ready for phase 4.
Sample Phase 4 Menu:
- Grainless granola (from Trader Joe’s) with homemade almond milk (you can also buy almond milk — I found Pop and Bottle (at Sprouts) to be SCD legal!)
- Acorn and butternut squash, kale, black beans, cheddar cheese; chicken breast cooked with onion and tomato and seasoned with cumin, garlic, paprika, salt+pepper
- SCD legal pizza (I used almond meal leftover from making almond milk) with parmesan cheese, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and homemade tomato sauce
- also pictured: almond flour pancakes (yum!!!), an airport meal from Ruby Tuesdays that was SCD legal thanks to the amazing waiter, making almond butter with the family, Americano and LARABAR — staples in my life.
Loving the diet and not missing my old favorites (chocolate, potatoes, tortillas). But I’ve made it to two months on SCD (as planned), and will begin to liberalize my diet.
After a hiatus, I plan on starting Exclusive Enteral Nutrition (EEN). Can I make it to 30 days on EEN??